Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Campfire's Glow

"Come where our campfire's burning bright,
you can see much better than by candlelight,
You will find more meaning in a campfire's glow,
then you're gonna find in a year or so"
These words are the first chorus in one of my very favorite campfire/Girl Guides song. I learned it as a child and still sing it to my kids today. I think it speaks to me because the message strikes something deep inside. It is difficult to explain the feeling of peace and nostalgia I get when I stare into the flames of a warm fire. So many years, so many happy memories! It brings me back to happy times as a child at summer camp, and years spent as a camp counsellor. Over time, those memories have expanded to include camping trips with my own family, and bonfires at the shore with close friends.
I don't know exactly what it is-the crackle of the burning wood, the dancing of the flames, the feeling of warmth. Whatever it is, it is good! For me, it seems to warm not just the body,but also the soul....

2 comments:

cpm said...

Well said! I love staring at the flames too! Mesmerizing!!!

tdp said...

definitely!