Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas 2012

Seems like just yesterday I was blogging about Christmas 2011.....and here we are in our last few days of 2012.  We were hoping to be on the East Coast for this one but military flights aren't easy to get it seems, unless you live in Ontario!  So Cold Lake it is ;)  I took time off, much needed time off, to spend time with Darryl and the kids.  It has been nice and I am looking forward to the next week.  As disappointed as we were to not get the flight, we have been very blessed with some wonderful friends here in Alberta.  Luckily we have been able to get together with them despite the busy holiday rush.  We got together a few days before Christmas with the Arnt's.  We love getting together with Patti and George! They are wonderful, kind people who always make us feel so welcome in their home.  They have wonderful kids too :)  Ryan and Jessica are great friends to Cailyn and Logan.



 The night before Christmas Eve, Tibbs Eve as many Newfoundlanders call it, had a definite East Coast feel to it!  We got to skype with our friends Kylie and Ryan Scholte for two hours.  And Darryl ordered in some fresh Nova Scotian lobster for us!  He is allergic so he had steak, but yum was it ever good!  Later on that evening, some of our very favorite Newfoundlanders came for a visit.  Melissa and John Shea, and their two beautiful kiddos :)  Cailyn and Logan adore spending time with Isabelle and Jackson.  I am pretty sure the feeling is mutual too...Melissa and John are awesome, I am so happy they followed us out from Greenwood!


The next day was Christmas eve..  Mass was at 5.  Logan had been asked to do the second reading a couple weeks ago.  He said yes and had practiced quite a bit.  He did a fantastic job and I was so incredibly proud of him for standing up in front of a packed church to share the reading.  Cailyn got to be an angel in the Nativity play and watch over all the cute toddler angels...very cute :)
When we came home, slightly ravenous, we got out the finger foods and other yummies.  Their friends Rachael and Devin came over for a visit with their parents.  It was nice but after a couple hours we knew that Santa would soon arrive.  Plus I still had a ton of wrapping to do lol.  So our guests left and we started to prepare for the guy in red.




The kids got into their pyjamas and got out treats, some for Santa and some for the reindeer.  One last look at NORAD told them Santa was across the border in Delaware.  They headed off to bed, with visions of lego and fun gifts in their heads.  And promises to not wake us up before 8:00!
Darryl and I stayed up to wrap gifts...really need to rethink this last minute wrapping marathon lol.  Finished earlier than last year though :)
Before we headed off to bed, I checked Norad one last time.  Santa was only a few minutea away from Calgary!  Not wanting to hold him up, we scurried off to bed. 

Well, the kids kept their promise.  At 8:01, they pounced on us!  It was finally Christmas morning! yay :D
The kids were happy with all their gifts, but most of all their E-readers.  They were completely surprised.  I am happy that they love reading as much as Darryl and I.  Darryl got an e-reader too and was very surprised, even after Logan accidentally let it slip out moments before he opened it lol.  I love my new Canon...I knew I was getting it but I was still SO excited!  We passed the day away, playing with our new toys.  Darryl cooked a nice supper, goose wrapped in bacon, and lots of fresh veggies.  Turtle pie for dessert...yum!
Last night we had supper with the Jackson's.  It was a fun, relaxing evening,  Lots of laughs.  Tomorrow night we are having supper with the Ford's.  We love getting together with them but it hasn't happened in a very long time.  So we are really looking forward to it!   Merry Christmas to all xo

No comments: