Monday, April 26, 2010

Pier 21



While in Halifax this past weekend, Cailyn and I had some time to explore the area.
I had heard a lot about the museum at Pier 21 so we decided to check it out.
There is so much to see there! Cailyn and I were meeting friends so we only spent an hour or so there. I think to really appreciate it though, you should give yourself at least twice that!
It gave us a deeply personal look at the lives of people who immigrated to Canada many years ago. Seeing the suitcases and personal belongings made it very moving. I couldn't help but think about the fear, excitement, nervousness of the thousands of people who came through our port before spreading out all over this wonderful country.


There are interactive displays, a boat and a train. They offer guided tours at regularly scheduled intervals, and the children can get a "passport" to stamp at various locations throughout the exhibits.
If you are touring around Halifax this summer, Pier 21 is one place you should plan to visit.
They even have a research center where you can look for your own family name.
I am looking forward to going back and taking in all the things we missed this time around.

No comments: