Friday, June 18, 2010

Turtle Power

It seems I have a new mission in life! Or at least lately anyway :)
Over the past couple months, the turtles seem to be out in full force and I've had to rescue several from the middle of the road they are travelling on.
I saw this guy shortly after leaving Keji last month. He was right in the middle of the road. I knew he was not a wood turtle, or a painted turtle, so I let him be! I was pretty sure he was a snapping turtle so I decided he was fine on his own, lol.


Then a couple weeks ago, while driving in the Tremont area, I found another little guy sitting in the road. When traffic whizzed over him, he would disappear into his shell. He had a few close calls that I could see, so I decided to help him once traffic had disappeared. I am pretty sure he is a snapper too, so I just nudged him off the road. He tried to plant his feet into the cement, apparently he didn't think he needed help!
The third turtle is a painted turtle, and I found him on the road while I was driving to Keji last weekend. As you approach the park, there are signs warning you to watch for turtles...well he was just a few feet past one of those signs when I saw him. He was almost ran over a few times. When I walked towards him, he started running UP the road (silly turtle!) so I turned him in the direction he had been going and gave him a nudge to get him going. He got out of there quickly, I never realized they could move that quickly, lol!
all in a day's work (or two :P )


1 comment:

mvm said...

The first two are really big! It was very nice of you to get him off the road even if he didn't think he needed the help, lol!