So we have been in Alberta now for 3 months exactly. In some ways, it feels like a lifetime since we left NS. We have seen so much since then, and had so many new experiences. The trip across the country was memorable, to say the least! All in all, it was a great time. We saw many places and things that we had only read about in books or seen on tv. We were given the chance to visit with people we hadn't seen in a long time. And I got to take a lot of pictures, lol!
It is now late fall, today is chilly and wintry. Considering what I heard the weather could be like, we've been blessed with some beautiful days-many more than I anticipated. It has allowed us to get out and explore, which we have taken full advantage of. The leaves have not been on the trees for probably a good month or so now, but there is still beauty to be found if you go looking for it. Early in the morning, when the sun is coming up over the fields and hills, is my favorite time of day. The yellow of the wheat, combined with the blues of the sky, glowing with the reds and oranges of the rising sun, takes my breath away. I often go for drives to the nearby park, or along "Coyote Alley". It isn't really named that, but that is what I call the main highway outside of town because that is where I spot them most often.
We are all settling in, but missing our friends. We are growing to like Alberta. It is actually a great province in many ways! But there are some negatives that leave us comparing it to NS. People aren't as friendly, and the ones that you meet who are friendly, are usually Maritimers, lol. Customer service sucks! (yeah, I know I mentioned that before, lol). And it is too far from NS! But I do love that culturally, there are more concerts/plays/theaters to access here. I am a big country music fan so I love that there are lots of concerts and festivals year round. And lots of cowboys too ;P . As seen recently at the West Edmonton mall....
And speaking of the mall, I've been there three times now! The first time was when Logan ended up getting sick, the second was a few weeks ago when we went to Galaxyland, and then I just went again on Saturday. The base organized a trip for military dependents to go to Edmonton for the day. I got to ride on a comfy bus, watch some movies, and do some power shopping. What a place that mall is! You really would need a couple days, just to walk around it, and that isn't even counting the time you would need IN the stores, lol.
I am still doing my french classes. During the day, I am keeping busy with baking for the holidays, and mom stuff. Darwin keeps me company when Darryl is on days. I've started pulling out my winter decorations and that is helping me get in the Christmas spirit. We are trying to settle into our new church parish. Father Jim is here, who had been in Greenwood for a while. He is great! He is like a polar opposite of Father Tim though....Cailyn hasn't started serving yet but she plans to in a few weeks. All the holiday craft fairs and events are starting to happen, so we'll have more things to do for a while. The National Rodeo was in town last week (did you see on the news where a bull jumped into the stands? That was in Edmonton). Next weekend is the big Santa Claus Parade and Festival of Peace (like the Festival of Trees). Parent/Teacher, Christmas concerts, and parties in December. Plenty to keep us busy :)
Before we know it, Christmas will be here and we'll be counting the days til Spring Break!
2 comments:
Having the snow here now helps me get into the Christmas spirit. With everything else going on it's difficult. You seem to have lots to do there and I can't believe it's been 3 months...it seems longer for me. I don't know about you, lol.
I love all your pictures and it's nice to see the fields, old cars and run down barns. Keep blogging, I like your updates.
no, it feels longer for me too :(
I keep waiting for someone to tell us we can go home!
I am finding things to do but it is only to try and fill my days, I miss my friends....
I am glad that we have our blogs, it helps to not feel so far away xo
Post a Comment