Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Toy



Well, anyone who knows me, or follows me on Facebook, knows that I love to take pictures!

I have gone through many cameras over the years. Even as a young person, I had a camera and was often found snapping away at the most random of things. I remember the days of polaroid cameras when you could see the results within moments. So cool! Then there were the cameras with the film cartridges that you had to take to the drugstore for processing, and of course it took weeks before they returned from some unknown developing destination. I hated having to wait :P But as the years went by, developing became quicker and one hour waits weren't so bad :) I remember my 35mm camera, I loved that camera! That took many a picture of my nephew, who was still young and adorable at the time. It captured many happy times at summer camp, for both campers and counsellors. I have albums full of pictures, and when I look at them I am instantly brought back to those moments when they were taken.

Then I met Darryl, and he had a Canon. Being in the navy, that camera was well travelled! Exotic locations and touristy attractions, waves and drunken crewmates, it saw a lot....It was a great camera too. That camera lasted for years, until it fell into the hands of some juvenile delinquints who decided that they liked it too...but that is another story :P

For a while after that I believe we were camera-less. When Darryl went to sea, he just bought disposables.

Then came the age of digital cameras. My first digital was a Sony, a 2.0 mp....can you believe that?! And it was close to 500 dollars at the time-shocking! But that was pretty cutting edge when we got it, lol. Eventually that wore out and we moved onto something bigger and flashier, a 4.0 mp Kodak. It was a nice little camera, until one fateful little drop on the forest floor.

And that is when I got my Canon. I love that camera! The kids were getting to be active, with dance and soccer and all the other picture worthy moments. I needed something with a good fast speed for keeping up with them. It has been a great camera, and I love that I can video tape with it. It is hard to believe but I have had it now for probably close to 5 years. And it still works awesome.

As much as I do love it though, I am looking ahead. I would like to do some photography courses, learn more about techniques and taking more professional looking photos. You can do some of that with a point and shoot, but most require an SLR. I have been wanting to upgrade for a while now but always held back because of the costs. Recently though, I was given the chance to upgrade and do so at a really good price. I did, and I am so glad! I have another Canon and I LOVE it! I still have so much to learn about it, but I am having fun doing so. I've ordered a book from Amazon which will arrive in a few days, that comes highly recommended by someone who really knows what they are doing. I can't give up my old Canon just yet, but it has been tucked to the side while I get to know my new toy. Terms like apperature and iso and shutter priority are still strange to me, but hopefully with time I will figure it out. I already notice a big difference in the quality of the pictures I am taking, once I figure out how to manually adjust I'll really be cooking, lol!

2 comments:

mvm said...

So exciting!!! I love new toys, especially of the Canon variety :-)
I have a name of a good book as well and it's called "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Paterson. He also has a website PPSOP.

tdp said...

Isn't Canon the best?!
When I ordered my book on Amazon, they also had the Brian Paterson one but I didn't order it. I checked out that site, and I think there are a couple courses I am going to do over the next few months on it. I really like all his little videos too...he really needs to consider sunblock though with all the time he spends outside :P