Thursday, May 13, 2010

Must See Place #1


So I've decided since we are leaving the province that I would compile a list of "must see and/or do" places, in the hopes that people who read about them might be inspired to visit them.
Anyone who knows me, knows that Keji is the one place that I keep going back to over and over again. I have been going there since I was a little girl and still love it.
It is open all year round, although we usually don't get there during the extreme winter conditions. But by late February, the roads have usually cleared enough that we can get in. Some people do camp and snowshoe there in December and January, but why would you want to?!! lol
I love Keji for so many reasons....I love that we can see wildlife totally at ease in their own environment. I love that when we go, it is normally very quiet and calming. The noises you hear are the songs of birds, the rustle of leaves on trees, the sound of waves lapping on the beach or the rush of the falls. There is a trail for every age and level of fitness, from 5 minute strolls on a boardwalk to 3 day back country hikes. Mills Falls is one of our very favorite trails, but if you are up to a more challenging one, Peters Point is gorgeous. It has a secluded beach which is nice. We have also canoed there in the past and spent the day.
If you prefer an easier canoe ride, then I highly recommend a trip down the Mersey River. Early morning or evening is my favorite time, there is a better chance of seeing wildlife and the sun rising or setting is so good for the soul :)
During the summer, the campgrounds are fully functioning. They are beautiful, sites are large and well maintained. There are interpretive programs Galore!
I could go on about Keji, but most of you have already heard it :P
So I'll end this here....

2 comments:

mvm said...

We will have to get you to take us to Keji when we get back for a picnic. Let me know when Cailyn's dance scedule slows down so we can make plans.

tdp said...

Cailyn's recital is next Saturday, so after that?!